Monday, June 25, 2007

To Bar or Not to Bar.....

Believe me I fully understand just how tied together drinking and smoking are. And I know that the biggest danger to my quit is going to be spending anytime at all in a smoky bar.

Honestly it isn't even a drinking thing for me. It is the bar scene itself. I have never been a big drinker and often times I just drink water all night at the bar because I can't afford the drinks. I worry that I will become totally anti-social if I don't go to the bar at least occasionally.

I don't really talk to anyone I work with pretty much the only socializing I do regularly is with my friends at the bar. I am single, I live alone etc.... I know sad isn't it. My sister is trying to convince me to look for local clubs etc but that just sounds dull to me. I can't think that I would have anything really in common with a bunch of people who like spending there time in that way.

I am supposed to go camping over 4th of July but I am thinking that may be quite the set-up for myself as well. Sitting around a campfire.. doing??? What is it you do around a campfire at night if you are not smoking, drinking and playing cards?? Ideas??

1 comment:

maggie said...

Ghost stories? Just kidding. I love camping, and around the campfire was the one place I could sit and smoke next to my non-smoking man. In theory that should mean that smoke from other smokers won't hit you the same as in a bar. My theory, anyway. I have camped as a non-smoker once, and I don't recall it being all that bad, but I have no idea how long I'd been quit. If you hike while camping, breathing the fresh air will be even more incredible. That I remember. Splurge with an extra dog or s'mores around the campfire (that's what I do, smoking or not...).

On the bar thing, I've known people who have jumped right back into the bar scene just fine (my friend who told me about Chantix did it his first night - yikes - and was fine, but he's that kind of guy), but I'm not quite ready for that myself (not that I go more than twice a year anyway). It all depends on the person, I think. You could try it if you give yourself an out if it looks too rugged right now. Maybe have people over for drinks instead if that sounds better?