Friday, June 22, 2007

My Work...

Just as a little add.. I am a teacher in a residential treatment program for teens (13-18). The kids who attend the school are sentenced to our program by the Juvenile Justice System. Needless to say many of the kids have serious issues with drugs and most of them were smokers before they came here. They are not allowed to smoke in the program and for many the smell of smoke is a serious trigger. I have always felt bad about working here and the hypocrisy of me being a smoker. I know I can excuse it with the whole I am of legal age to smoke and they are not thing.. but frankly that has never cut it for me. I do my best to never allow the kids to see me smoking and to erase any traces of it before I head to my classroom; when driving to work if their van is within site of my car I will immediately get rid of my cig so none of them see me smoking but obviously many of them know I am a smoker (they can smell it etc.).

Which brings me to why I made this post, this morning after taking my pill I lit up a smoke in the car and had maybe 4 drags before I saw the boys van pulling out behind me. Thus the reason for getting rid of my first morning smoke.

3 comments:

Marcus said...

I took my second pill today and I'm good. I still smoke but I'm only on day 2. I didn't have any weird dreams. good luck and I love the fact that we are on exactly the same day with this.

Lakasha said...

Good luck to you as well, it is gonna be nice to have someone around on the same quit day :)

Keep in touch.

maggie said...

Wow, that's awesome what you do, and it says a lot about you that you have tried to keep your smoking sort of tucked away instead of right in their faces. Just one more great reason to quit - not smelling like smoke or being seen smoking will become a piece of cake once you've quit :)