Friday, June 29, 2007

The Gym!

Right when I got off work today I decided to head to the Y. I got there at 3:15 and spent just over 3 hours there; did about 30 min of cardio, some strength training and swam a bunch of laps. Not all of it working out mind you I also spent some time in the sauna.

I feel really good right now and I think I may want to move into the gym. I swear I didn't think about smoking the entire time I was there. Getting into my car after was a bit tough. Again that sense of having accomplished something made it hard to not smoke. Let me tell you that definetly sucks. I need to figure out something nice to do for myself every time I finish something... transition times between things also seem tough for me.

So any ideas? It seems most of the ideas on things to do to fight cravings involve something that will simply create another transition.. or accomplish something. I am already drinking water... hrmm..

5 comments:

maggie said...

Wow, you are awesome! I just do the walking thing and feel like it helps, but it does sound like getting into even more involved exercise is really very helpful in a lot of ways. Maybe someday I won't be scared of the gym. Not today, though :)

The little something between tasks or at the end of something is a tough one. I'm starting to get used it not being a cigarette, but other than the water & breathing thing, I haven't come up with much else in its place. I don't feel that missing something feeling as much, though, either. Sometimes I'll have a piece of gum just because I like having fresh breath and really don't chew it all that often this time (previous quits, my jaw hurt from chewing...), but that's really not so creative :)

Anyway, so glad to hear that you are feeling good. Just keep going. Tonight, a Friday night, I actually kind of miss it because of the "me time" thing, but I just keep remembering how much better I'm starting to feel and how much I do not want to go back through the beginning again in order to get back to where I already am. Reading your post reminded me again that all this not smoking is a very good thing. Thank you. I needed that!

Konstantin said...

Food.

Even though, I kinda felt at first I was missing something right after (used to smoke after eating always), that kind of disappeared more or less. So now I enjoy food and anything oral.

Sorry, if not much help. The truth is when it's tough, I compain, and I feel better. Don't really look for ways to relieve it, coz I know it will pass. That's just me, though.

Wow, you'll be hurtin' tomorrow.. :)

Konstantin said...

Lakasha, I'd wait before you built up Chantix in your system and your GI is used to ingesting and processing it. Then you can experiment! :) Right now, probably better to do it the proper way. Just my personal opinion.

Yev C said...

That's great about the gym! I've been going to the gym regularly now for over a year and I can't tell you how much better I feel. In about a year, I went from a size 12 to a size 8 (I did modify my diet too, though) and I am much stronger and in better shape than I've ever been! Now that I am quitting smoking, I anticipate even more progress with my exercise. I've also taken up jogging the last few months, I bet that will be SO much easier once I've quit smoking for a couple weeks. keep it up! :)

Konstantin said...

By the way, you can change your myspace page to Smoke - NO