Monday, July 23, 2007

Forgot My Chantix... Again - Day 26 Quit/Day 33 Chantix

Well... I got off work Friday at around 1:00 and headed home to pack up and go to our favorite primitive campsite for the weekend (Cook and Green for those familiar with Southern Oregon which is about an hour away). New boy also decided to join me and meet my whole family there though he had to work the next day.

I had been taking my pills at around 3ish for a bit now so I hadn't taken one yet. I got everything together and headed out for my fun weekend. When we arrived there everyone else was already set up with their spots picked for tents (grr they stole my favorite spot). I set up my tent went down to the water to cool off and then came back up to grab a bite to eat, some water and my Chantix. This is when I discovered that my Chantix was not with me but rather sitting somewhere at home. Not much to do for it now I suppose.

So I have officially gone an entire weekend without Chantix. Maybe it was because I was camping but I actually made it through just fine. My sister still smokes and I admit there were a couple of times where I had actually convinced myself to just take one drag of her cigarette to "see what it would be like" but I never quite got around to asking her and am of course glad I didn't. When I would on occasion get a strong urge to smoke I just took a couple breaths and did something else for a few minutes.

It is now Monday afternoon, I am supposed to go sailing today for the first time since I quit with an old "special friend" of mine who is definitely a chain smoker and several of his friends who are also smokers. I have found my Chantix but still haven't taken one and I am trying to decide if I should take it or not. After not taking any all weekend is it going to make me feel weird I wonder? Will just one pill before going sailing make spending time around everyone easier?? These are the things I am currently questioning.

Ohhhhhhh and I forgot to add to my post.... Thursday night I was feeling VERY brave and good about my quit and decided it was time to test how committed I was. So I got ready and headed to my favorite bar The Beau Club... (that is right the one I keep talking about as the smokiest, dingiest bar in town). My plan was to have a few drinks, play pool and see how I did with being in a place so associated with smoking for me. Well.... my plan worked for the most part. I had my drinks and sat next to the pool table watching my smoker friends smoke and play and while I felt odd not smoking I actually had no real desire to light up at all more just the recognition that I would normally be smoking at certain times. Of course when my name finally came up on the table to play the frickin table broke so I wasn't able to really test myself. We headed to a different bar where I proceeded to drink and play pool till after 1 am AND... that is right.... I didn't smoke at all :)

4 comments:

maggie said...

Wow, Lakasha, so awesome to hear that you are able to still enjoy doing things like that without smoking! Very cool! I'm not quite there yet, so I'm not really pushing it, but it is good to know that there is life like that out there even after quitting smoking.

My $0.02 on starting back up on the Chantix would be to just do it because what's the harm? Either way, though, Chantix or not, as long as you just don't smoke, then you still haven't smoked :) I would just think the Chantix would continue to make it less interesting than without. Good luck!

Ellie said...

First, congrats on getting through the weekend, I know you can make it through this day trip.

Here's the thing on quitting the Chantix cold turkey - you could be in for a rough emotional patch if you do that, because you won't be getting that sustained dopamine hit. Tapering off allows your brain more time to adjust.

This is not a for sure thing, though; someone else (John?) went off pretty abruptly I think and has been doing well. Just be aware.

And do what's right for you! Here's to smooth sailing! (Couldn't resist. :P )

Tabatha said...

Lakasha.....wtg on still staying smoke free. Im proud of you to be able to go somewhere that there was many many people smoking and you not be able to and still enjoy yourself....wtg!!!!
on not taking the chantix....I wouldn't know what to tell ya but I would say start back up so you dont slip....I think it would be ok!

Anonymous said...

There are many aids like gums, patches and pills on the market that will help people to stop smoking. A lot of people are helped by these products, but they do not work for everyone. If you’re a smoker who has tried to quit time and time again, but have not been helped by other methods, chantix may be a welcome alternative. http://www.chantixhome.com/