Thursday, December 10, 2009

How to Decide to Quit Smoking?

Someone over at the forums asked for support on getting into the right mind frame to decide to quit smoking. In trying to come up with something to say to them all I could think of was that the key to making that decision is to really think about what your reasons for smoking are and what your reasons for quitting are.

One would have thought that my mothers diagnosis of lung cancer would have been a pretty darn good reason especially given my grandmother also died of lung cancer so I obviously have a genetic predisposition to die from cancer as well. She was diagnosed with cancer in July of 08 and died in Oct.. I smoked for over a full year knowing how high my chances of getting cancer were. Looking back on that now I realize that alone is a good reason to quit realizing how much control the nico-demon had over my life. Enough to convince myself that somehow I could survive cancer better than I could survive not smoking. I even considered the bottom line that we would all die someday and why not let it be cancer. Seeing the reality of that at least took that lie away from me.. cer.

The whole month after she died my nico-demon was working on convincing me that just because cancer got her didn't mean it would get me and who knows maybe by the time I got cancer (she was 70) there would be a cure for it...

Now that I am free I can realize how ridiculous my excuses for continuing to smoke really were and what was really behind them. It wasn't a love for cigarettes it was addiction pure and simple and nothing but me should be controlling me.

3 comments:

Shala said...

Have you tried other alternatives such as nicotine and gum patches. Most say that e-cigarettes work. Just be patient. In time, you will be able to quit smoking.

Shala Ohms

Atmos said...

Decide to give up smoking today itself by using vaporizer device and stay healhty..

Vaporizers said...

Use herbs vaporizers and quit smoking easily..